Friday, May 04, 2007

Cherish and Obey This List of Righteous Upcoming Shows


The Horrors. May 19. Saturday. Popscene (SF)- a fun spectacle. Super glam, loud, dancey, punk. I saw them at CMJ and Faris (lead singer) grabbed my pal’s head and screamed into it and hit me in the mouth. It ruled.

Black Cobra, Rwake
. May 20. Sunday. The Uptown (Oakland) & May 21. Monday. Elbo Room (SF)- scary rock and metal. Ideally, you’d want to see this show in some small, shadey joint where everyone is pushing and sweaty. I bet both bands have badass shirts with crazy art. (I’m going to The Uptown show and hoping for aggressive attendees)

The Sermon. May 25. Friday. Café Du Nord (SF)- first, I dig their name. Solid rock, with a 50’s and punk tone. These local dudes don’t play that often.

Pela. May 31. Thursday. Bottom of the Hill (SF)- refer to my article below. I jock.


Zion I & The Grouch. June 2. Saturday. The Independent (SF)- always fun. Hip hop and flavor. They'll kill it, but at the last SXSW, I saw them play with UGK. The audience was like, "Who are these white dudes?" It was funny (they're not white).

Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum. June 15. Friday. Great American Music Hall (SF)- their shows always sellout. I haven’t seen them, but supposedly it’s an unbelievable show. Dramatic and homemade instruments, their shit is out there (experimental, opera, goth, rock?). It will be an honor to see them.

Buck 65 (Sage Francis, Buddy Wakefield, and Alias). June 19 & 20. Monday & Tuesday. Fillmore (SF)- this is it. While all the dudes rule, Buck… dear god, who is this guy? And what can’t he do (to me)? Rooted in hip hop, storytelling, breathy lyrics, and articulate hands and gestures… so good. I’m going to try and not go both nights (I’m scary).

-The Mari

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home