Tuesday, April 24, 2007

I Feel Cool for Liking Pela First (or at least before you)


I met these guys at the year before last’s SXSW. We were staying at the same commune. None of them tried to have sex with me and they seemed like simple nerds, so I shrugged them off (they opened for The Flaming Lips later that night). Recognizing them on this year’s SXSW roster, I finally gave them a listen. And well, they’re hella good, like quality. Catchy comes across too aggressive and easy, but I’ve gone to their myspace everyday to listen; I like it and look forward to hearing it. As with almost all songs, my mental movies go and a sentimental something occurs, but with Pela there’s something I can relate to, lyrics and vocal accents I can feel romantic about but none of it is mine. Nothing that reminds me of anything from personal experience; it’s something close or coming. They’ve been described as a meaningful “American rock” band. I may be too distant to define American rock, but I can tell their music doesn’t sound like it’s from anywhere else.

Everyone is a music elitist. And I would like to confirm that I am right and good: do you like Pela?

Their album “Anytown Grafitti” came out today (April 24th).
Pela is playing the Bottom of the Hill May 31st. Going with the music and their show reviews (I’ve seen pictures of them sweaty and in panties), it should solid.

Pics: Both are from sxsw 2006. Top pic is of Eric (bass, vocals). To the left is Billy (lead vocals, guitar) sitting by the fire pit. Cowboy hat man is their photographer friend.

-The Mari

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home