Sunday, April 29, 2007

Roll with the punches.


When I was younger, MTV scared the piss out of me. Some of what I now think are the coolest videos today were ones that were often subject and inspiration of my nightmares. Among others, these include Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun, R.E.M.'s Losing My Religion and Nirvana's Heart-Shaped Box. But one that stands out among the rest is Faith No More's Epic. Not only did it warp my six-year-old little mind, it spawned my most intense and longest-lasting rock and roll crush to none other than Mike Patton.

I love Mike Patton. I love everything he touches. The man can't do any wrong in my book. And since I find myself in a position to try and interview people in this sordid music business, a few months ago, I tried as I might to get him across from me as the subject to many of my burning questions. A few days ago, I officially failed.

I failed, but at least I took it on my feet. When I was told to fuck off, I tried my best to fanangle the interview anyway. I did my best. Corniest thing in the world to say, but that's all that matters. In this business, that's all you've got. Your best. If you are worth your shit, it is usually good enough but never always. Geniuses fail. Virtuosos mess up. Journalists get doors slammed in their faces. It is my rite of passage. At 22 years old, that isn't shabby.

-Briana Hernandez

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home