Saturday, June 02, 2007

RIP Rock Stars.

A special thanks to the man who took my virginity and also inspired the following rant.

I just read an article in Spin about the death of the rock star. It was making a point that the people who are making the best record sales and have the most famous music aren't even recognizable themselves. They look and act like regular civilians.

First, I agree with this. You aren't hearing these legendary motor-cycle-driven-through-a-hotel-lobby, fucked-a-groupie-with-a-swordfish, set-the-drummer-on-fire stories anymore about the most popular bands in the world.

Then again, who the fuck cares? Look at the state of pop music right now. I don't fucking care what these shmoes do backstage just as much as I don't care what they do onstage.

Besides, pop music isn't the edgy thing anymore. It becomes the edgy thing for about five minutes every decade until corperate music rapes it into oblivion. The truth is, the rock star is alive and well but the only thing is that he ain't no star. Not yet.

Furthermore, to play devil's advocate, what is so wrong with the death of the rock star? Grant it, I don't like the reason why the rock star is dead today but I have never been one to think that music is about the people who create it. To a certain extent, maybe. It's only natural to be interested in a musician you think is brilliant but only in context to how they create. Not how they bang chicks, drink copious amounts of booze, snort copious amounts of drugs...ANYBODY CAN DO THAT! ITS NOTHING SPECIAL. I DRESS FUNNY AND GET FUCKED UP ALL THE TIME AND THAT JUST MAKES ME NORMAL. Who gives a shit that no one took Tommy Lee's place in the Rock n Roll Decadence Hall of Fame? I sure as fuck don't. I care that people are making bad music and clogging the way for good music to get into people's earshots. But I never worry about that too much. Because, like I said, five minutes every ten years. For five minutes, it is actually easy to find good music. Until then, its just a little more of a mission.

-Briana Hernandez

2 Comments:

Blogger Tyler said...

Amen!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

"I DRESS FUNNY AND GET FUCKED UP ALL THE TIME AND THAT JUST MAKES ME NORMAL"

brilliant ;)

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home