Friday, January 04, 2008

Oakland's own Amplive Hit With Cease & Desist, Radiohead Remix Album's Future Unclear



Fresh on the heels of a story in the New York Times, Cali producer and In Rainbows remixer Amplive has received a cease & desist letter from Radiohead's publisher Warner/Chappell, demanding that the Bay Area DJ put a halt to his Rainydayz Remixes project, an 8-track remix album of re-envisioned In Rainbows songs featuring guest spots from the legendary Too Short, MC Zumbi of Zion I, Del the Funkee Homosapien of Gorillaz, Chali2na of Jurrasic 5, and a host of others. What this means for the future of the project is currently unclear, but the originally proposed release date of January 10th has now been postponed indefinitely. A link to a copy of the Warner/Chappell letter, and a video and letter response from Amplive himself are below.

LETTER FROM WARNER:
Warner letter

VIDEO RESPONSE FROM AMPLIVE:



A LETTER FROM AMPLIVE:
First and foremost I would like to thank everyone who has been digging my remixes. I put a lot of time and hard work into them and I am glad people are appreciating them. I was especially excited about the exclusive verses I was able to get from Del the Funky Homosapien, Chali2na from Jurassic 5, the soul singer Codany Holiday, and K.Flay, who were all also super excited about contributing to the project. I really feel if Radiohead's team was able to hear these remaining remixed songs, they would feel differently. So I am writing this letter to ask that if you have any post/streams/mp3s of the songs from Rainydayz Remixes that you remove them immediately. Complying with the cease and desist, these remixes can't be publicly distributed or made commercially available. Even though I was offering them for free in conjunction with the In Rainbows download and had good intentions because of my appreciation for their music, the powers that may be are not seeing it the same way. Hopefully I can find a way for Radiohead to support this FREE release made available only to those who purchased their album. For now I am cooperating with the "C & D" only because it has come from Radiohead's team and I will respect that. BUT if that changes I am happy to resume my release plans. Again, I appreciate your support in posting them, but because of the situation at this time, it is illegal. Thanks for you help. - Amp Live

Amplive planned to release a free zip file of the remix record on January 10th to all those who forwarded an email receipt of In Rainbows purchase to amplive@onesevensevensix.com. In addition to unveiling the tracklist (which can be found below), Amp had planned on expanding the release model to allow those who had deleted their W.A.S.T.E. emails to reserve a copy of the album by forwarding receipt of a donation – in any amount – to Friends of the Earth, a charity Thom Yorke has officially backed on the band's Dead Air Space blog. If and when the release is allowed to move forward, all those who have forwarded receipts from W.A.S.T.E. or Friends of the Earth will receive a copy of the album. Tracklist, and more info on the charity below.

Rainydayz Remixes Tracklist

01 Rainydayz
02 Video Tapez (ft. Del the Funkee Homosapien)
03 Nudez (ft. MC Zumbi of Zion I and Too Short)
04 Weird Fishez
05 All I Need
06 15 Stepz (ft. Codany Holiday)
07 Reckonerz (ft. Chali2na)
08 Faustz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home